Friday, September 14, 2007

Hero


I did this on brown postage paper. There is something I like about the lighter colors the way they kind of glow on this paper. I used watercolor, ink, colored pencil and graphite. I always romaticised horses when I was young, actually I think I still do. They are the most beautiful animals. I love the name hero for the horse I might have one day. A white horse named hero.

I have something I would like to discuss with anyone who cares to comment. I am really fascinated by the keen interest in the handmade in recent years. I have heard this called an art movement. I would like to hear your opinion. Is this a movement toward buying from "home", artisans, the good old bartering system? (If it is, it sure is beautiful to me.) Is it a keen interest in art, or the handmade? And for what reasons? I think this is an exciting time for artists. We can do anything we want...we can actually sell our work for ourselves and make a living. Art is affordable. Art is invading life.
I am loving every minute of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this idea of painting on a brown bag. It's a nice look. Your artwork is really wonderful. I like the whimsy.

Cheryl Arkison said...

A very intriguing question. Are we more interested in the handmade because we are disenchanted with the 'made' out there? Environmental concerns, social concerns, war, it all impacts our purchasing decisions (at least I would hope it does). Are we rallying against a plastic world where recalls seem to happen everyday? Or are some of us 'career' type women nostalgic for something we perceive as simpler? Or are we just finally feeling free to experience creativity?